patient in a mental home was firmly convinced that he had swallowed a lightbulb
and all the efforts of the team of psychiatrists to convince him otherwise were
to no avail.
Finally the chief
psychiatrist tried one last trick. He put the patient to bed under heavy sedation
and then unscrewed the lightbulb from the bedside lamp. He then laid the bulb
carefully on the patient's chest.
Presently the patient
came round from the anaesthetic and the psychiatrist said,
`Nothing to worry
about now, Mr Smith. We've managed to remove the light-bulb surgically!'
The patient picked
the light-bulb up and examined it carefully. Then he looked up and said scornfully,
`You must think
I'm stupid! This is a forty-watt plain. The one I swallowed was a hundred-watt